Saturday, April 24, 2021

Puerto Morelos

Quincy has been the BEST travel mate!  But, he's a bit exhausted and, honestly, so am I.  It is a bit of work and a lot of effort to figure out where to go, how to get there, where to stay, and then to get going!

Plus, in Merida, he went to get a bath and passed out on the table.  They used heavy duty tick/flea shampoo which is toxic and routinely killed dogs! WTF???  The vet there had to take blood to make sure he didn't have anything major going on.  The couldn't find a vein in his leg so went for the jugular! WHAT??



Poor Quincy!

So, I got him back to PM and to the awesome vet here, Planned Pet Hood, and they diagnosed him with acute dermatitis.  Sooooooooo, every 3 days, a 10 minute shampoo/massage for one month.  At first Q was a bit annoyed with the whole idea, but then realized it's not so bad! lol

Staying on the pet theme, PPP had a weekend of CNR (catch neuter release) for strays and domestic cats and dogs. They needed volunteers, I'd never done something like that so, now's the time.

I arrived at 10am for the domestic day.  They assigned me to dog recovery. My duty was to clean the incision, cut the nails and clean the ears.  Being mindful of the tube down their throat... when they'd start to cough or breath heavy, it's time to remove the tube.  

Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk.

First couple of dogs were ok, I managed them. As soon as one had the tube removed and placed on the floor with its owner, another dog showed up, or two or three or four.

One pit bull little girl came and she was very pretty.  Gorgeous coat and the color of caramel. I trimmed her front nails only, as the back ones were really worn down. Cleaned the incision area. Went for the ears.  I didn't know what I was looking at. I asked the vet what it was and she said, oh, ticks.  One was so huge it was white then, deeper in the ear a whole family or colony.  I. Thought. I. Was. Going. To. Vomit!  Seriously, the feeling was so powerful that it was all I could do to pretend manage that.  They said just put vaseline in the ear and pull them out. OH god.  I got out as many as I could and waited a few minutes saying my time was up and had to leave. I managed 2.5 hours there but this one just freaked me out!

When I left there were still bringing dog after dog to the recovery area. This is a wonderful thing to do and I certainly found a profound level of respect for doctors and volunteers who can do this type of work.  I then thought of C-19 and all those nurses and doctors and the unending stream of unimaginable need and care. 

It shook me for several days.

I learned one dog, after being spayed, started to go into distress.  They had to open her up to see what was going on and her belly was full of PLASTIC. They rushed her to the vet hospital and she passed.  The owners were accusing the team of killing her.  That argument didn't get one bit of conversation. 

I tell ya, this is for real and watch your friggin' plastic! Don't buy it and if you do, recycle in the best way possible.



All the guys here were so happy when they woke up!
 
Trying to stand and just flopping around like little perros borrachos.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 Hello ol' Friend, A few years later; countries discovered; a sense of acceptance that leaves no haunt; 70+ has a way. A way of grabbing...