Merida, the capitol of the state of Yucatan, its largest, boasting a population of nearly 900,000.
Three popular conquistadores founded the city in 1542 and named it Merida after a city in Extremadura, Spain.
Situated in the Northern part of the Yucatan, it has Quintana Roo to its East, Campeche to its West and the Gulf to its North. Being that it is located in the lowlands and inland it tends to get very HOT and stays that way for extended periods of time. Did I mention mosquitoes???
Having a multitude of cenotes and Mayan pyramids close by brings tourists and Ex-pats in by the droves.
The spectacular Colonial architecture is well maintained and standing beautifully in the side streets and surrounding neighborhoods.
At the turn of the 20th century, Italian and French-style architecture was popular. Driving along Paseo Montejo, the main avenue in Merida, one would see this style of architecture. It was reflected in many single-family dwellings which boasted family status, wealth and intended to pave this wide route, emulating the Champs d'Elysses. Today these gorgeous buildings have lost their home status and are now office buildings. If I didn't know I was in Mexico, looking at these buildings, I could well believe I was in Havana, Cuba.
Museums, theatre, symphony, ballet are all found in Merida which gives it this rich cultural, architectural and historic beauty.










No comments:
Post a Comment